Welcome to the 2009 Offshore Petroleum Exploration Acreage Release
The regular release of offshore acreage is a key part of the Australian Government's strategy to encourage investment in petroleum exploration. The 2009 Offshore Petroleum Exploration Acreage release comprises 31 Release areas, located across five basins.
The Release areas range from frontier to mature status and offer opportunities for exploration companies of all sizes.
To assist prospective applicants this website contains the following information:
- Overview for applicants
- An overview of the Australian petroleum sector for intending explorers and other interested parties.
- Guidance notes for applicants
- Notes for preparing an exploration area application, including special notices of titleholder obligations and the rights and interests of others in these areas such as environment, fisheries, maritime safety and defence.
- A summary of petroleum prospectivity and geological settings to assist explorers in evaluating the 2009 Offshore Acreage Release areas.
- A summary of available data to assist explorers in evaluating the 2009 Offshore Petroleum Acreage Release areas, including seismic, well and sample data.
- Products and services
- Contact us